Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Brolita Experience


This post is part of my "Guest Lolita's" series. It was not written by me.

My name is James Chiong, a gothic and sweet Lolita who currently hails from Charleston, SC. I have been a cross-dresser for about 12 years but I have been a Lolita for a little over a year and half now.
It all started one summer day in 2009. I was going through another one of my cross-dressing inspiring picture searches on google images, maybe something that involved turning my beloved broom skirts into something more flattering. What I found instead was one of the most inspiring things I have ever found in my life. This was the day I came across Mana.

I was astounded! I had never seen anything like this. But it wasn’t his female silhouette that captured me. It was his dress that, at the time, was the most gorgeous dress I had ever seen. Everything he had on, from the petticoats to the wig to the makeup, amazed me. This fashion, which I came to find out was called Lolita, was EVERYTHING I had ever wanted as a cross-dresser.

As a guy Lolita, aka a ‘bro’lita, dressing up in frills and lace is an exhilarating experience. I love being able to coordinate an entire outfit that can be mine. Everything, from the dress and the blouse all the way down to my shoes and even the wig I wear, is something that excites me and makes me just feel pretty. Even the little subtle things such as makeup, bloomers, and petticoats help add to the overall experience of it all.

But Lolita is more than just a fashion. It’s a lifestyle. And even now, when I cannot wear it as often I would like, it continues to inspire me. It has become the catalyst that allowed me to open up in ways I never could have imagined. Through lolita I've met dozens of people I would normally have little to no interaction with and have learned to take pride in my outfits despite what others may think. Lolita has helped me to find the strength to carry on, and to live my life as the person I dream of.

9 comments:

  1. To you and all brololitas, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, James *glomp*
    I met him at a meet-up in Savannah a few weeks back. While he is not the first brolita I've met, he is my favorite-- well spoken, funny and a great sense of style. I sound like a fangirl XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. n__n I'm happy to see 'bro'litas ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. The brolita is really quite cute but he has a round face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is that James is one of the most inspirational and beautiful loli's that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting! Thank you James for allowing me to post this on my blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wonderful!
    I love to read about the exploits of other bro'litas. This article really encapsulates the artistic & emotional freedom that a male can experience whilst wearing Lolita.

    I'm a budding bro'lita really, as I'm getting to grips with (subtle!) make-up & I've spent my money this year on filming Lolita events rather than buying dresses lol. I'd love to get to a stage where I can look as lovely as James here & develop my passion for EGA too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually never heard of "bro'lita" before. Quite interesting. I am a cross-dresser who makes it down to Charleston several times a year. Always I am with friends. We identify as little girls. We especially like visiting at Easter and I am certain a lot of people have heard about us by now!

    Perhaps we should meet sometime, James! I wish I knew how to get in touch with you ... in case you read this or someone lets you know, I will include my email address (with the suitable change so it doesn't get picked up by spammers) and also my blog:

    http://girlsparkle.blogspot.com/

    winnie.cpr(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness, my friends and I think James is amazing. I've actually been able to see him at conferences lately and it has been one of the highlights of our summer.

    ReplyDelete

You May Also Like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails